MHU – 11th & 12th of May 2019
Route Profile for the MHU (Out & Back)
The MHU “The Double” is two Out & Backs
Ascent – 6,086ft Descent – 6,086ft Distance – 47 miles
Malvern Hills Ultra entrants can choose various race distances, between 23, 31, 38, 46 & 92 miles (The Double). The total ascent of the 46 mile race is over 6,000 ft, the 92 mile race is obviously double that!
To view the one hundred top finishers “Hall of Fame” click HERE.
Previous years race photos can be found HERE.
The race is open to Solo Runners and Relay Teams. Trophy Categories consist for the individual winner’s for men and women of all race categories, veteran men and women for the 46 & 92 Ultra races only, teams of three, and a relay team event where team members just run between checkpoints. Checkpoints are a minimum of 7 miles and a maximum of 10 miles apart. Completion of the Malvern Hills Ultra 46 mile race allows three qualifying points for Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc Race. The 46 mile race (Purple Route) and the 92 mile race (Black Route) both start and finish at the Abberley Hall School WR6 6DD and then to The Admiral Rodney Inn at Martley WR6 6PL which is CP1. CP1 is also the starting point for the 38 mile race (Red Route). From Martley the route follows the Worcestershire Way, over Ankerdine Hill and into Storridge where Suckley Post Office & Stores is CP2. CP2 is also the starting point for 31 mile race (Yellow Route). Continuing on the Worcestershire Way, over the Malvern Hills and to Sally’s Place WR13 6DD)(opposite side of the lane to the Malvern Hills Hotel) which is CP3. It is at CP3 that all competitors turn and retrace their tracks back to the finish at the Abberley Hall, utilising previous CP Stations. CP3 is also the starting point for the 23 mile race (Blue Route). For the 92 mile race competitors repeat the same route.
The Race Start time for the MHU 92 and the MHU46 is 7.00am on Saturday 11th May 2019, signing in and checks open at 5.45 am, and close at 6.30am (PROMPT). Late entrants may be refused entry. A race brief will then follow and a group photograph. Food: for the 2018 race the food at the finish was chilli and rice (vegetarian option also available) and the 2019 race will be on a similar basis. Check points will have unlimited water, coke, orange squash together with a selection of items such as malt loaf, peanuts, jelly beans, jam or peanut butter sandwiches, cakes. Under no circumstances is litter to be left along the route.
The Worcestershire Way is a well signposted route, however you are still required to carry copies of our free downloadable maps and route directions available off this website. In addition we provide a gpx file which can be downloaded onto your GPS device if you so wish. We also have the ‘Time Lords’ who will run at desingnated hourly paces – 11 hour, 12 hour, 13 hour and 14 hour.
If you are confident about being able to navigate the course consistently at any of these times, please email email@example.com to check availablity. Time Lords will benefit from free race entry and a unique ‘Time Lord’ finisher medal.
If you are new to Ultra Running and don’t have a Garmin or similar gps device and would like to have a go at using one – URL has invested in 40 Garmin foretrex410 devises, which you can simply hire just for race day. The hire cost is just £20.00. Each unit comes with the route already downloaded onto it. For the Foretrex 401 you would need to supply your own 2 batteries (triple A type / AAA) and carry a further spare 2 batteries within your kit bag. Dependant on your quality of battery you should achieve 18 hours with a set of batteries, but you should always carry a back-up set. If you want to hire one click Hire now!
Camping: Pre race camping is available and can be booked through the entry system. Simply press the Enter button and select that option.
Finishers will receive an official MHU medal and a technical MHU T-Shirt.
Malvern Hills Ultra Rules
The course is very challenging and for competitors own safety and fairness the following rules must be adhered to. Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification from this and future events.
The Malvern Hills Ultra (MHU) is organised by Ultra Running Limited and is open to runners, walkers, teams of two or more, and relay teams. All entrants must be 20 years of age or over at the start of the race. Each competitor must ensure that they carry with them all of their individual requirements needed to complete the race. Every entrant must confirm that they have read these rules and other event information and therefore understand the nature of the event and that participation is at their own risk.
Check Point Logistics:
- Abberley Hall (Start) to The Admiral Rodney (CP1) is 6.7 miles
- The Admiral Rodney (CP1) to Suckley Post Office (CP2) is 7.0 miles
- Suckley Post Office (CP2) to Sally’s Place (CP3) is 8.6 miles
- Sally’s Place (CP3) to Suckley Post Office (CP4) is 8.6 miles
- Suckley Post Office (CP4) to The Admiral Rodney (CP5) is 7.0 miles
- The Admiral Rodney (CP5) to Abberley Hall (Finish or mid point for the MHU92) is 6.7 miles
- Total Out and Back distance is just shy of 46 milesIndividual Race Start Times:
- MHU 46 and the MHU 92 will start at 7.00am
- MHU 38 will start from The Admiral Rodney Inn at Martley at 8.30am.
- MHU 31 will start from Suckley Post Office & Stores at 9:30am.
- MHU 23 will start from Sally’s Place at 11.00am. If required, transport for MHU38, MHU31 & MHU23 competitors can be provided to the various start locations which will cost £12.00 per person and you can secure your transport by selecting that option during your booking process. On the day, each participant will be given a race number which must be clearly attached by safety pins, to either the back or front and be clearly visible. It is the competitors responsibilty to ensure all CP stations have recorded their time as they pass through (this is in addition to the chip-timing system). All Teams must have pre-registered before the day and consist of at least three competitors who will also count as individual competitors amongst the rankings. Relay team members in categories of either 2/ 3 or 4/6 will carry chip-timed battens.
Competitors must be self sufficient, and carry the following mandatory items:
- Backpack or equivalent
- Head Torch with spare batteries
- Ordnance Survey Map 150 (Our downloadable maps are ok)
- Compass or GPS device
- Mobile phone
- Emergency food pack consisting of a two chocolate bars, Mars or similar
- Basic first Aid Kit
Checkpoints and Water Stations
The MHU benefits from CP stations which have a great selection of food items and drinks, but any personal requirements are the responsibility of the entrant. Competitors must go through all check points and it is their sole responsibility to ensure that the check point attendant has recorded their race number; failure to do so at any check point will mean the competitor has failed to complete the race and will be disqualified. Along the route, between Suckley – Sally’s Place there are two Punch Points which are un-manned punch-points, where you must use your punch-card to confirm your arrival. Initial punch-cards must be handed over at Sally’s Place, where a fresh punch-card will be issued for your return leg. On finishing, the second punch-card should be handed over to a URL Marshall at the finish-line. Any competitor found to not follow the pre determined race route will be disqualified.
If any competitor has to retire for whatever reason they must contact the race organisers immediately, either by advising a checkpoint attendant or by telephoning the emergency number which will be written on the race Bib of each competitor.
Completion for the 46 mile race is required to be inside 14 hours. Check points will be technically closed at the following times:
- CP1 – 09:00
- CP2 – 11:30
- CP3 – 13:30
- CP4 – 16:00
- CP5 – 19:00
Any competitor arriving at a CP after the above advised times will not be allowed to continue.
Likewise, for “The Double” competitors, there is a MANADATORY cut off time to reach the Midway point of Abberley Hall (MHU46 finish line) within 12 hours. This will be non negotiable. However, any “Double” competitor deciding not to continue at this point will still be deemed as finishers for the MHU 46 and will receive finisher Medals and Tec T-Shirts and will be included within the MHU 46 race results, but only if they choose not to continue at that point. However they will also be included within “The Double”race results as DNF.
“Double” competitors deciding to continue have to depart on their second half run before a further 12.5 hours cut-off – allowing a maximum break of thirty minutes for food etc. For the second leg “Double” competitoirs must maintain a pace of 3.0 miles per hour to reach each CP station, giving an overall time allowance of 28 hours. Failure to maintain this pace and cut-offs will result in withdrawl from the race without negotiation.
Through ourselves, you can book camping at the School which is £15.00 p/p per night and includes toilet and shower facilities – you will find this option through the entry system. It is requested that these facilities are respected and all litter etc is removed by the responsible competitor. The organisers (URL) are more than happy to source alternative accommodation such as B&B or hotel, subject to availability and cost. This service is provided also for any family member or supporter who wishes to attend the event.
Registration & Entry Fees
Entry fees include a contribution to the Malvern Hills Conservators, who look after the paths and hills that we use.
Contributions to date = £500
All entries have access to food stations and a hot meal at the finish (non transferable)
- MHU 46 – Individual entries are £75.00 per person
- MHU “The Double” Individual entries are £145.00 per person
- MHU 38 Individual entries are £65.00 per person
- MHU 31 Individual entries are £60.00 per person
- MHU 23 Individual entries are £50.00 per person
- MHU 46 Relay Team Member entries are £40.00 per person
Entries are on a non-refundable basis. Cancellations within four weeks of the event will not be transferrable or deferrable. Where you are granted a ‘transfered race’ or ‘reduced rate race’ these are clearly on the basis of a one off offer and must either be used or forfeited.
Ultra Running Ltd. reserves all exclusive rights for photo coverage of the MHU. Participants agree that Ultra Running Limited may use exclusively their individual or collective names and pictures for anything related directly or indirectly to their participation in this event.
Finisher Medals & Trophies
All finishers will receive an appropriate MHU race medal and a MHU Technical T-Shirt. (The size of the finishers medal will increase depending on the distance of the race you enter).
- Men’s & Ladies individual trophy for both MHU 46 & MHU “Double” races.
- Men’s & Ladies veteran trophy (over 55) for both MHU 46 & MHU “Double” races.
- Men’s & Ladies individual trophy for the MHU 38, MHU 31, & MHU 23 mile races.
- Team trophy for the MHU 45 mile race.
- Relay Team trophies for both Cat Pairs and Cat 3/6 in the MHU 46 mile event.
- Men’s, Ladies & Veterans winners of the MHU 46 will receive free entry into next year’s event.
The organisers reserve the right to change or amend any part of the event.