Enviromental Policy Update:
Please note that ALL our races are now cup-free which means we will not be supplying cups and you will need to bring your own. We will provide water and squash dispensers and cola bottles for you to pour into your own cup.
Very soon we will have our own branded foldable and reusable cups for sale in our web-shop. You can either get these posted out to you in advance or collect them at registration on race day.
31st August & 1st September 2019
THE PERFECT 100 MILE COURSE!
IMPORTANT – Do not forget your collapsible cup or water container, as from 2018 the Buff Joust 24hr Race will not be supplying disposable cups.
2018 Photos available here.
Jousting Rules (AKA race info)
About the event:
The BUFF® Joust 24hr is a medieval themed 24hr off road race suitable for teams and solo runners. Camping is situated around the race start location at Top Barn Camp Site on the 31st August & 1st September 2019. The race will be run over a 5.65 mile loop following parts of the Severn Way along the river until Grimley then returning back to the camp site through a mixture of fields, footpaths and very quiet lanes. The course is well marked and marshalled, easily navigable and relatively flat.
We had the course measured in 2018 and the distance came out at 8,952.1 lm. This is significant as it equates to just over 5.65 miles which gives a remarkable statistic:
18 laps = 100.08 miles
New for 2019:
For 2019 onwards we will be introducing the Joust Buckle “Solo 100 Miles in 24hrs” for any Solo runner achieving the 100 mile distance.
And for that extraordinary Team who can knock out the inconceivable 36 laps (200.16 miles), each member will receive a Joust Buckle “Team 200 Miles in 24hrs”. The last two years have shown that this is not unachievable!
What to expect:
You can arrive on Friday night or Saturday morning to set up your Pavillion (AKA camp site). Please note – your tent pitch is included within your entry fee, unless you prefer to hire one of our “SOLO” tents to save the bother of bringing your own. The event will begin at 12:00 on Saturday at the ‘Lists’ area – this is the name for the area where Joust tournaments were held, and for our purposes is located in the middle of the campsite.
You can enter the race either as a solo runner, pairs, a team of 3-5, or a team of 6-8. There will be prizes for each category for both male, female and mixed. For 2019 ‘Kids Run Free’ are again our official race charity who will also be helping with the kiddies joust fun runs – please see entry options below, where your entry cost can reduce to just £10.00 if you raise a set amount of money for Kids Run Free.
- Solo Runners – Solo runners will start at the same time as everyone else (12:00 Saturday) and will proceed to run as many laps as they can in 24 hours. The Soloists have preferential camping pitches which are very close to the course itself. They will also be allowed to have a support crew should they wish.
- Pairs and Teams – Starting at 12:00 the pairs and teams will take it in turns to run laps of the course. You must have one runner on the course at all times. Runners must complete one full lap before switching over with their team mate and passing on the joust (relay batten). After the event has begun teams cannot change the members of their team but they may change the order in which they run. Should one member wish to do several laps in a row this will be allowed.
- Kiddies Joust – Enter groups of children in teams of three members or more to run/walk/jog over a 1 hour period. If you haven’t got anybody to make up a team don’t worry – enter as a single entrant and we will add you to another team. The Kiddies Joust will be Saturday afternoon only (2.00pm – 3.00pm). Each team member can run/walk/jog as little or as much of the course as they like. For each lap run the kids will collect a ‘lap band’. Once they have finished running we just add up the lap bands to confirm distance run. The course is set up in the second camping field which is very safe and everybody is clearly in view at all times*. Due to the Kiddies medals being the same quality as the main event (only smaller) it is imperative that places are booked early to ensure medal availability. * All children must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times whilst they take part.
- 24 hour race? As the name says the BUFF® Joust 24hr is a 24 hour race. Competitors will need to complete a lap within the 24 hours in order for it to count. Any competitor still on the course and arriving after 12:00 on Sunday will not have that lap recognised.
- Night running – It will be compulsory for all runners to wear a head torch or carry a hand torch from 19:00, runners will also be expected to carry a switched on mobile phone and a whistle. The course will not be lit but the way will be well marked with yellow direction signs and temporary spray paint. It is very much encouraged that during the hours of darkness competitors run together with either support crew or other competitors – this isn’t a mandatory requirement, just a recommendation, and the decision rests with each individual competitor.
- The Knights of Worcester – Also during the hours of darkness, the race will benefit from several non-competative runners who will run loops of the course and they will happily join any competitor along the route purely on a support basis. If you fancy being a “Knight” please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to note your interest. Each Knight will recieve a Knights of Worcester tec t-shirt and a Knights of Worcester bespoke medal as a thank you.
- Results – Each runner will be provided with a chip-timing device (to be collected on the day). Each lap will be recorded as you pass the Lists area. For those of you wishing to check your position we will have a live update shown on a screen in the lists area. For a lap to count, it must be completed no later than 12:00 on the Sunday.
- Pace: It doesn’t matter how fast or slow you complete your lap, this is an event for everyone fast and slow alike.
- Water Stations: Water stations will be available at the Start location, at the turning point of The Wagon Wheel at Grimley, and two further stations before you complete your loop. All of these stations will have water, and be manned throughout the night and operate as control points with recording of times as each runner passes through. Please remember to bring your own drinking-cup or water bottle as the Buff Joust is a plastic-cup free race. (i.e. non-supplied)
- Competition retirement: If any competitor has to retire for whatever reason they must contact the race organisers immediately, either by advising a checkpoint attendant or telephoning the emergency number which will be written on the competitors race number.
- Team Captains – Each team must have a captain who will be responsible for the behaviour of the team as a whole.
Visit our shop for Official Joust Merchandise
Ultra Running will have thirty solo tents available for hire. These tents will take prime positioning – right next to the course! They are for Solo hire only and will be erected prior to your arrival and packed away by Ultra Running staff, so you simply turn up and forget about the hassles of setting up. Simply choose this option through the booking system.
Hot showers and toilets will be provided throughout your stay.
Friends, family and supporters will be required to register their attendance prior to the event. Pitch cost is £12 per night and if required £5.00 per hook-up. Please book the tent pitch through our entry system choosing “Non-competative Tent Pitch”. Hook-up charges to be paid on the day. The camping location provided may be in a different location to the competitor camping areas.
There will be a quiet time on the campsite between the hours of 22:30 – 07:00
The Tournament Village
Here we will have the following facilities;
Catering: Onsite catering is provided by Natalie Guy of Food Court who will be provided a selection of food for the duration of the event for those not wishing to bring their own food. This will be individually priced by the catering company. Should you wish to bring your own food/BBQ you are welcome to but disposable BBQ’s are not allowed. All litter must be taken with you at the end of the event.
Retail: We have Helix Sports who are attending the event. They are experts in supplying the right type of footwear to suit individual runners requirements. A selection of shoes will be available for purchase, together with great advise from Kirk and Oli.
Massage: This years service is provided by Meg Judge who covered 2017 & 2018.
Registration and entry fees
Run for FREE – If you commit to raising twice your entry fee for Kids Run Free, all you have to pay is a £10.00 admin fee when booking. The total you agree to raise must be completed before you get your race entry entitlement and is not transferrable to another year. You can choose this option for any of the following entry categories.
- § Enter as an individual (Black Route) – £80.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 2 (Red Route) – £100.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 3- 5 (Blue Route) – £250.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 6-8(Green Route) – £300.00
- § Enter as a Team of 3 or 5 Kids at £8.00 each (If you haven’t got members to make a team just enter individually and we will add you to a team). All profits go to the charity ‘Kids Run Free’
To complete entry into the 24 hour race simply press the ENTER button or make a postal application:
a. Online registration form (Use the Red entry button at the top of the page) or
b. Send your details by postal entry with a cheque to: Ultra Running Ltd, Little Bowbrook, Walton Road, Hartlebury, Worcestershire, DY10 4JA. Please make cheques payable to Ultra Running Limited.
Entries into all URL events are on a non-refundable basis. However, up to and within four weeks of the event you may defer till the following year or substitute another runner to take your place. Inside the four week period, no deferrals or transfers are possible.
If for any reason Ultra Running Ltd has to cancel the event, we will offer a rearranged date.
We will have photographers on course throughout the event, but if you take any interesting photos yourselves please let us have them. Ultra Running Ltd. reserves all exclusive rights for photo coverage of its events. Participants agree that Ultra Running Limited may use exclusively their individual or collective names and pictures for anything related directly or indirectly to their participation in this event.
Medals & Trophies
All entries booked before August 1st will receive a bespoke medal and a T-Shirt. Late entries after that date may receive a standard URL medal and t-shirt.
Any charity money you give us on the day will go to support Kids Run Free. Click on their name or logo to see the excellent work they do across the country. They are looking for more volunteers and run locations so if you feel you can help them in anyway please get in touch.
Current Record Holders:
- Mens Solo – 2016 (Club BPJ) Richard Cranswick – 25 laps in 23:31:26 (120 miles)
- Ladies Solo – 2018 Emily Seward – 19 laps in 23:52:32.67 (105.64 miles)
- Mens Solo Vet – 2014 Jules Taylor – 21 laps in 22:30:00 (100.8 miles)
- Ladies Solo Vet – 2015 Jude Dayne – 15 laps in 16:23:00 (72 miles)
- Mens Pairs – 2014 Neil Herron and Lee Jones – 28 laps in 23:41:00 (134.40 miles)
- Mixed Pair – 2014 “Team Petrified” – Alison Carr and Nick Herbert – 26 laps in 23:26:14. (124.8 miles)
- Ladies Pair – 2017 (Club BPJ) “A Right Pair of Plums” – Ruby Johnson and Denise Morrison – 17 laps in 23:50:50 (81.6 miles)
- Mixed Team of 3/5 – 2017 (Club MJ) “WTF…Where’s the finish?” – 36 laps in 23:29:05 (172.8 miles)
- Team of 3-5 Mens – 2018 “Malvern Buzzards Running Club” – Dave Woodward, Jack Abbotts, Glen Curran, Adam Dyson, Marc Heptinstall – 31 laps in 23:33:14.83 (172.36 miles)
- Team of 6-8 – 2018 “The Lords & Ladies of Lliswerry” – Leuan Smith, James Kershaw-Naylor, Nick Rees, Owen Davies, Nicky Collin, Emma Wookey, Jack Rowland & David Jacob – 34 laps in 23:37:45.92 (189.04 miles)
Trophies are awarded for;
The first 6 men and 6 women earn a place at The Round Table and are awarded the following titles. To qualify as a Vet you need to be 55 years of age. The 2017 Title holders are in brackets:
- Mens Winner – King Arthur (Richard Cranswick)
- Ladies Winner – Queen Guinevere (Emily Seward)
- Mens 2nd Place – Sir Lancelot (James Carr)
- Ladies 2nd Place – Princess Morgan Le Fay (Ewelina Skolimowska)
- Mens 3rd Place – Sir Gawain (Marek Sabadasz)
- Ladies 3rd Place – Princess Ygerna (Sarah Jackson)
- Mens 4th Place – Sir Galahad (Gerard Longworth)
- Ladies 4th Place – Princess Anna (Tara Lambert)
- Mens 5th Place – Sir Tristan (Harry Mcalinden)
- Ladies 5th Place – Princess Elaine (Emma Tan)
- Mens 6th Place – Sir Percivale (Ryan Isles)
- Ladies 6th Place – Princess Morgause (Rachel Caseley)
- Mens Vet Winner – Merlin, The Magical Wizard (Harry Mcalinden)
- Ladies Vet Winner – Nimue, Lady of the Lake (Jude Dayne) retained from 2015
Additional Trophy Categories:
- Men’s & Ladies & Mixed Pairs winners
- Men’s & Ladies & Mixed Teams of 3-5 winners
- Team of 6-8 winner
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU TO THE BUFF® JOUST 24hr CHALLENGE.
The organisers reserve the right to change or amend any part of the event.