2nd & 3rd September 2017
Jousting Rules (AKA race info)
About the event:
The Buff Joust 24hr is a medieval themed 24hr off road race suitable for teams and solo runners. Camping is situated around the race start location at Top Barn Camp Site on the 2nd/3rd September 2017. The race will be run over a circa 4.95 mile loop following parts of the Severn Way along the river until Grimley then returning back to the camp site through a mixture of fields, footpaths and very quiet lanes. The course is well marked and marshalled, easily navigable and relatively flat.
What to expect:
You can arrive on Friday night or Saturday morning to set up your Pavillion (AKA camp site). The event will begin at 12:00 on Saturday at the ‘Lists’ area – this is the name for the area where Joust tournaments were held, and for our purposes is located in the middle of the campsite.
You can enter the race either as a solo runner, pairs, a team of 3-5, or a team of 6-8. There will be prizes for each category for both male, female and mixed. For 2017 ‘Kids Run Free’ is our official race charity who will also be helping with the kiddies joust fun runs – please see entry options below, where your entry cost reduces to just £10.00 if you raise a set amount of money for Kids Run Free.
- Solo Runners – Solo runners will start at the same time as everyone else (12:00 Saturday) and will proceed to run as many laps as they can in 24 hours. The Soloists will have an area close to the ‘Lists’ where they can set up camp and will have easy access for any rest breaks they require. They will also be allowed to have a support crew should they wish.
- Pairs and Teams – Starting at 12:00 the pairs and teams will take it in turns to run laps of the course. You must have one runner on the course at all times. Runners must complete one full lap before switching over with their team mate and passing on the joust (relay batten). After the event has begun teams cannot change the members of their team but they may change the order in which they run. Should one member wish to do several laps in a row this will be allowed.
- Kiddies Joust – a 15K endurance challenge for Kids. Enter groups of children in teams of three members or more to run/walk/jog 15K over 3 hours. If you haven’t got anybody to make up a team don’t worry – enter as a single entrant and we will add you to another team. The Kiddies Joust will be Saturday afternoon only (2.00pm – 5.00pm). Each team member can run/walk/jog as little or as much of the course as they like in order to reach the team target of 15K. For each lap run the kids will collect a ‘lap band’. Once they have finished running just add up the lap bands to make sure they have run the target distance. The route for the Kiddies Joust will be a 250m course set up in the second camping field which is very safe and everybody is clearly in view at all times*. Due to the Kiddies medals being the same quality as the main event (only smaller) it is imperative that places are booked early to ensure medal availability. * All children must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times whilst they take part.
- 24 hour race? As the name says the Buff Joust 24hr is a 24 hour race. Competitors will need to complete a lap within the 24 hours in order for it to count. Any competitor still on the course and arriving after 12:00 on Sunday will not have that lap recognised.
- Night running – It will be compulsory for all runners to wear a head torch or carry a hand torch from 19:00, runners will also be expected to carry a switched on mobile phone and a whistle. The course will not be lit but the way will be well marked with yellow direction signs and temporary spray paint. It is very much encouraged that during the hours of darkness competitors run together with either support crew or other competitors – this isn’t a mandatory requirement, just a recommendation, and the decsion rests with each individual competitor.
- The Knights of Worcester – Also during the hours of darkness, the race will benefit from several non-competative runners who will run continual loops of the course and they will happily join any competitor along the route purely on a support basis. If you fancy being a “Knight” please email us at email@example.com to note your interest. Each Knight will recieve a Knights of Worcester tec t-shirt and a Knights of Worcester bespoke medal as a thank you.
- Results – Each runner will be provided with a chip-timing device (to be collected on the day). Each lap will be recorded as you pass the Lists area. For those of you wishing to check your position we will have a live update shown on a screen in the lists area. For a lap to count, it must be completed no later than 12:00 on the Sunday.
- Pace: It doesn’t matter how fast or slow you complete your lap, this is an event for everyone fast and slow alike.
- Water Stations: Water stations will be available at the Start location, at the turning point of The Wagon Wheel at Grimley, and two further stations before you complete your loop. All of these stations will have water, and be manned throughout the night and operate as control points with recording of times as each runner passes through.
- Competition retirement: If any competitor has to retire for whatever reason they must contact the race organisers immediately, either by advising a checkpoint attendant or telephoning the emergency number which will be written on the competitors race number.
- Team Captains – Each team must have a captain who will be responsible for the behaviour of the team as a whole.
Visit our shop for Official Joust Merchandise
Pavillions These were the names given to the bright, round, medieval tents of alternating colors which house the combatants and surgeons of a jousting tournament – for this purpose it shall be our campsite.
There will be two categories of pavillion. The red pavillion – will be located close to the start line. This will be for the solo runners and pairs to allow easy access to food and drink whilst running for the 24 hours. The blue Pavillion for the teams will also have a quiet area for those who would like to get some good sleep before their lap.
Camping is included for the Main Event competitors, but you do need to bring your own tent (if you don’t have a tent these can be rented please choose the option for this when you click the entry button. Hot showers and toilets will be provided.
Friends, family and supporters will be required to register their attendance prior to the event. The campsite has increased their cost per pitch, which will now be £8.00 per night and if required £4.00 per hook-up. Please book the tent pitch through our entry system choosing “Non-competative Tent Pitch”. Hook-up charges to be paid on the day. The camping location provided may be in a different location to the competitor camping areas.
There will be a quiet time on the campsite between the hours of 22:30 – 07:00
The Tournament Village
Here we will have the following facilities;
Catering: Onsite catering and will be provided for the duration of the event for those not wishing to bring their own food. This will be individually priced by the catering company. Should you wish to bring your own food/BBQ you are welcome to but disposable BBQ’s are not allowed. All litter must be taken with you at the end of the event.
Retail: We have RunAround Sports who are attending the event. They are experts in supplying the right type of footwear to suit individual runners requirements. A selection of shoes will be available for purchase, together with great advise from Kirk and Oli.
Massage: This years service is provided by Alfie from Brand New Muscle and he will help out with those achey body parts.
Registration and entry fees
Run for FREE – If you commit to raising twice your entry fee for Kids Run Free, all you have to pay is a £10.00 admin fee when booking. You can choose this option for any of the following entry categories.
- § Enter as an individual (Black Route) – £70.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 2 (Red Route) – £85.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 3- 5 (Blue Route) – £210.00
- § Enter as a Relay Team of 6-8(Green Route) – £250.00
- § Enter as a Team of 3 or 5 Kids at £8.00 each (If you haven’t got members to make a team just enter individually and we will add you to a team). All profits go to the charity ‘Kids Run Free’
To complete entry into the 24 hour race the applicant must submit the following documents:
a. Online registration form (Use the Red entry button at the top of the page) or postal entry form with payment.
c. Full payment (see above) payable to ‘Ultra Running Limited’
Entries into all URL events are on a non-refundable basis. However, up to and within four weeks of the event you may defer till the following year or substitute another runner to take your place. Inside the four week period, no deferrals or transfers are possible.
If for any reason Ultra Running Ltd has to cancel the event, we will endeavour to offer a rearranged date. Failing this URL undertakes to refund payments received, less any out of pocket expenses which are determined at 25%.
We will have photographers on course throughout the event, but if you take any interesting photos yourselves please let us have them. Ultra Running Ltd. reserves all exclusive rights for photo coverage of its events. Participants agree that Ultra Running Limited may use exclusively their individual or collective names and pictures for anything related directly or indirectly to their participation in this event.
Medals & Trophies
All entries booked before August 1st will receive a bespoke medal and a T-Shirt. Late entries after that date may receive a standard URL medal and t-shirt.
Any charity money you give us on the day will go to support Kids Run Free. Click on their name or logo to see the excellent work they do across the country. They are looking for more volunteers and run locations so if you feel you can help them in anyway please get in touch.
Trophies are awarded for;
The first 6 men and 6 women earn a place at The Round Table and are awarded the following titles. To qualify as a Vet you need to be 55 years of age. The 2015 Title holders are in brackets:
- Mens Winner – King Arthur (Richard Cranswick)
- Ladies Winner – Queen Guinevere (Alison Carr)
- Mens 2nd Place – Sir Lancelot (Matthew Blackburn)
- Ladies 2nd Place – Princess Morgan Le Fay (Luan Wall)
- Mens 3rd Place – Sir Gawain (Paul Watham)
- Ladies 3rd Place – Princess Ygerna (Cindy Richards)
- Mens 4th Place – Sir Galahad (Harry Mcalinden)
- Ladies 4th Place – Princess Anna (Gemma Morgans)
- Mens 5th Place – Sir Tristan (Craig Allen)
- Ladies 5th Place – Princess Elaine (Maxine Hosell)
- Mens 6th Place – Sir Percivale (Martyn Chrystie)
- Ladies 6th Place – Princess Morgause (Sarah Jackson)
- Mens Vet Winner – Merlin, The Magical Wizard (Harry Mcalinden)
- Ladies Vet Winner – Nimue, Lady of the Lake (Jude Dayne) retained from 2016
Additional Trophy Categories:
- Men’s & Ladies & Mixed Pairs winners
- Men’s & Ladies & Mixed Teams of 3-5 winners
- Team of 6-8 winner
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU TO THE BUFF JOUST 24hr CHALLENGE.
The organisers reserve the right to change or amend any part of the event.