Ed & Phil’s Recipes
Butternut squash and sweet potato soup.
This soup can be enjoyed either hot or cold and is really easy to make. Packed full of anti-oxidants it would be great as a post-run treat.
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion – peeled & diced
2 cloves garlic – peeled & crushed
1 tsp curry powder
300g sweet potato – peeled and diced
250g butternut squash (peeled weight) – diced
2 tbsp torn basil leaves
750ml vegetable stock
250ml soya milk
pinch of salt
a little soya cream or plain yoghurt alternative to serve
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook until soft, add curry powder and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the sweet potato and butternut squash and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the stock, basil leaves and salt, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
4. Allow to cool slightly then use whizz the mixture in a blender until smooth.
5. Return to the pan, add the soya milk and re-heat gently.
6. Serve with a swirl of cream or yoghurt on top.
Note: If you are serving the soup cold you may wish to add more soya milk to improve the consistency. It can feel a bit like baby food without the extra milk.