Ed & Phil’s Recipes
Leek & Cheese Muffins
This recipe comes from the UK Leek Growers Association. They have a range of leek-based recipes which have been developed by sports nutritionist and dietitian Dr Sarah Schenker.
Leek and Cheese Muffins
225g self-raising flour
1 leek finely sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
100g half-fat cheddar, grated
175ml semi-skimmed milk
50ml olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, leek, freshly ground black pepper and cheddar and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, egg and olive oil. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Grease 10 muffin moulds and half-fill each with the mix.
5. Prick each cherry tomato – this stops them popping when they cook – and press one tomato into the top of each spoonful of mix.
6. Spoon the remaining mixture over each muffin to conceal the tomato. Cook for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe is described as ‘the perfect snack after a strength training session’. However, we found the muffins to be excellent after a race or long run.
You can find more recipes on the British Leeks website. If you look at the home page don’t get too excited about the competition, the closing date was ages ago. I think leeks grow faster than the time it takes them to update the website.